- Used in the context of general equities. in-line expression of interest in a particular stock, usually asking the firm to bid for or offer stock. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary
* * *inquiry in‧quir‧y [ɪnˈkwaɪəri ǁ ɪnˈkwaɪri, ˈɪŋkwəri] noun inquiries PLURALFORM1. [countable] a question you ask in order to get information:
• He has received a flood of telephone inquiries from small investors.
• customers who call in just to make inquiries2. [uncountable] when you ask questions in order to get information:
• Mr. Gilberd agreed to this transaction without further inquiry.3. [countable] an official process, in the form of a series of meetings, intended to find out why something happened:inquiry into
• The Commission conducted an inquiry into allegations of unfair business practices.
* * *inquiry UK US /ɪnˈkwaɪəri/ noun (UK also enquiry (plural enquiries))► [C] a question or request for information about someone or something: receive/get an inquiry »
The company has received more than 1,000 inquiries since they launched the insurance policy last month.make an inquiry about sth »
We have received hundreds of calls from people making inquiries about availability of the product.inquiries from sb »
A customer-relations service answers 2,000 inquiries from the public each week.customer/media inquiry »
Please note that this number is for media inquiries only.»
to answer/deal with/handle inquiries»
a telephone/email inquiry»
general/specific inquiries► [U] the process of asking a question or asking for information about someone or something: »
On further inquiry, the company was told that the contracts had been cancelled.► [C] GOVERNMENT an official process to discover the facts about something, especially something bad that has happened: hold/launch/open an inquiry into sth »
The Competitions Commission will hold an inquiry into the incident.»
The Council has set up an independent inquiry which will show the effect of closure of the plant.► [C or U] IT an attempt to find information that is kept electronically: »
The database management system offers a facility for on-line update and inquiry.● line of inquiry — Cf. line of inquiry
Financial and business terms. 2012.